Head of Oncology and Haematology
HCA Healthcare UK – the world’s largest private acute and complex care hospital group and winners of 'The Best Private Healthcare provider 2016' and 'Best International Cancer Services' provider 2016.
London Bridge Hospital campus in South East London encompasses an outpatients and diagnostic centre in The Shard, the large world-class hospital based at the Tooley Street site, and a further five outpatient and diagnostic centres across the City, Canary Wharf and Kent.
In May 2017 we welcomed the newest addition to our campus into the top four floors of the new Cancer Centre at Guy’s. With £38.2 million investment and 60,000 square feet, this purpose built facility allows London Bridge Hospital to house its cancer services under one roof. Consultants from London’s top teaching hospitals will offer full surgical provision in urology, gynaecology and breast, as well as reconstructive surgery for these specialties. The new site encompasses inpatient and day case beds and operating theatres including the first integrated robotics theatre in the UK, housing a Da Vinci Robot. There is also a chemotherapy unit, outpatient consulting, Level 3 Critical Care and Imaging including X-Ray, MRI and Ultrasound.
London Bridge Hospital achieved an ‘Outstanding’ accreditation by the healthcare regulators Care Quality Commission in 2017, with them remarking that they saw innovative practice throughout the hospital including new research taking place, and Consultants and staff were highly praised around their levels of motivation and commitment in the provision of providing high quality patient centred care.
As Head of Oncology and Haematology, you will provide clinical operational leadership and line management support to staff at the London Bridge hospital and Private Care at Guys (our private cancer facility joint NHS venture).
You will also participate in quality programmes to improve patient and consultant satisfaction and will be responsible for the development of a high quality and effective workforce and recruitment.
In addition, you will oversee bed utilization and be responsible for ensuring that agreed ratio of resources and occupancy are achieved and will work together with other Managers to ensure that the clinical requirements of patients are met within a framework of evidence based practice and cost efficiency.
Benefits: We'll look after you with our contribution pension scheme, the use of all HCA facilities for acute medical conditions, annual salary review, 25 days holiday each year and access to a fantastic flexible benefits scheme. We can also offer you a relocation packages if you are living outside of London or the UK. You can expect to be working in an environment that promotes the development of your skills and knowledge.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide leadership & direct line management for defined area’s
- Participate in project work to improve the patient pathway.
- Lead on and participate in the development and management of effective recruitment and retention strategies
- Develop clinical leadership and scope of practice across the hospital.
- Participate in the senior on call rota for the hospital and act as site bleep holder.
- In conjunction with the CNO, act as a central point of contact for patients, staff and consultants, ensuring effective management for the 24 hour working day.
- Work effectively with the medical staff in order to ensure positive outcomes for each patient episode and promote and initiate innovation and new ideas in methods of care delivery
- Identify, with Governance Manager and Clinical Leads, clinical development, and meet training needs of ward team in relation on to clinical effectiveness, risk and professional development - participating in the investigation of adverse events, clinical incidents and complaints.
- Work with all Heads of Departments to increase patient and consultant satisfaction with the services provided.
- Build relationships with admitting consultants as a visible and engaged point of contact regarding patient care and hospital processes.
- Participate in the annual preparation of the hospital and departmental budgets
Skills & Experience
- As a registered nurse, you will have previous senior hospital management experience. Holding a post grad qualification, you will have strong leadership and motivational skills. In addition to this you will have experience of recruitment and retention strategies and also of budget and resource management.
- A background in cancer or haematology is essential for this position.
About The Individual
The successful candidate will have the ability to assess situations and identify the most appropriate approach to resolving it. They will have strong team building and leadership skills and will be able to engage professionally with all Hospital users.
In addition to this, the post holder will possess strong customer care skills and will be able to tact and sensitivity towards patients