RGN - General Surgery
The Wellington Hospital is the UK's largest independent hospital with over 260 beds and 1000 employees. We have an international reputation for excellence in complex healthcare and have gained four decades of expertise in treating patients from the UK and overseas.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Staff Nurse to join our surgical ward at The Wellington Hospital in St Johns Wood, London (NW8 9LE).
Our General Surgery service offers patients access to skilled surgeons who specialise in focusing on the abdominal or colorectal area. The procedures include an appendectomy, hernia repair, removal of the gall bladder and haemorrhoidectomy.
- Full-Time, Permanent, position
- Hours: 37.5 per week
- Shift Pattern: 11.5 hour shifts (days, nights and weekends)
- Salary: starting at £31,630 per year (increasing depending on experience) plus 9% shift enhancement
- Benefits: Mentorship programme training, structured career development, funded courses, health and well being support system, private pension, private medical care cover, guaranteed annual salary review and much more
The Principle Duties for the role are:
- To demonstrate good clinical practice at all times and to be accountable for own actions.
- Prioritising workload and directing staff accordingly.
- To make efficient use of resources.
- Occasionally deputise for senior staff, providing management and leadership in their absence.
- Promote team working.
- Assess, plan and deliver care, based on individual patient and family needs.
- Evaluate care of the team and ensure standards are met.
- Respect and ensure patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Support and act as role model for junior staff, promoting a learning environment.
- Ensure equipment is in good working order.
- To maintain accurate records of patient care.
- Provide patients and families with information regarding the care and management of their condition.
- Responsible for the control storage and administration of drugs.
- Involvement in projects as required.
- To take active participation in auditing to maintain standards
- To carry out nursing duties as requested by senior staff.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Day to day staffing issues in absence of senior staff
- Early recognition of clinical problems and report or take appropriate action
- Deal with enquiries and refer as necessary
- Handle complaints and refer as appropriate
- Dealing with discrepancies on supply issues
- To appreciate and adapt to cultural needs
- Utilize resources efficiently
- Liaison with consultants, staff, patients and visitors
- Liaison with other internal and external departments
- To demonstrate tact and sensitivity
- Support junior staff and assist in training
- Initiate improvements and developments in clinical issues and delivery of care
- To be efficient and professional in representing the Hospital
- Maintain a high level of clinical practice
- To take responsibility for own practice, in accordance with UKCC and hospital guidelines/protocols
- Assess, plan and deliver care
- Plan and monitor staffing needs and assist in preparation of staff rotas
- To prevent risks to self, other staff or patients within the unit
- Maintain confidentiality
- Show awareness of budgetary issues when allocating resources
- Capture inpatient revenues
- Assist in reaching and mentoring of junior staff
- To be fully conversant with all equipment, for skilled and safe use
- To ensure equipment is in good working order
- To keep up to date with current procedures
- To maintain accurate records
Skills & Experience
- Registered Nurse Level 1
- Experience/Qualification in specialty
- UKCC Registration and PREP requirements
- 2 years post registration experience
- Phlebotomy training desirable
About The Individual
The successful candidate will have a positive, enthusiastic, flexible attitude and be willing to learn from those around them, whilst contributing towards a best practice environment. They will be comfortable working autonomously as well as part of a team and be keen to share knowledge and ideas throughout the group. Finally, they will have a customer focused mind set, working to ensure high standards of patient care at all times, working towards the continued success of the department at all times.