Assistant Speech & Language Therapist
The Wellington Hospital has over four decades of expertise; providing the highest level of care for patients who are looking for the best treatment in key areas of healthcare, including: neurosurgery, spinal surgery, cardiac care, orthopaedics, acute neurological rehabilitation, gynaecology and cancer care.
In our 50-bed Acute Neurological Rehabilitation Unit we care for patients with a wide range of complex neurological conditions. And we're supported by the UK’s largest private intensive care unit. We also offer the latest cancer and robotic surgery treatments, including electrochemotherapy, HIPEC and the da Vinci Robot. Having the largest neurosciences unit in London means we're able to carry out advanced spinal surgery, intracranial and peripheral nerve surgery as well as pioneering neurosurgery.
- To provide administrative support for clinical staff across all the service areas within the Speech and Language Therapy department
- To ensure all statistics for the department are entered within a timely manner and to maintain stock control / inventory of all items and resources within the department
- To work under the direction of qualified therapists as part of an interdisciplinary team with patients (individual and / or group), who have disabilities resulting from neurological, medical or surgical conditions
- To take responsibility for ensuring a safe working environment for all therapists and patients
- To take the lead in administrative projects and establish routines and streamline working practices
This is a full time role working 37.5hrs per week with an attractive and competitive salary increasing depending upon skills and experience.
Reward and recognition:
We reward your commitment in delivering the highest standard of care with generous and competitive benefits such as our contribution pension scheme, private medical insurance, annual salary review, 247.5hrs holiday each year; with the option to buy and sell. We invest in your career development with clear career pathways and access to further education. We can also offer you support with relocation if you are living outside of London or the UK; subject to terms and conditions.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conducting one to one therapy sessions following aims and treatment plan set up by the primary Speech and Language Therapist (as required)
- assisting in joint sessions with complex patients (where appropriate)
- taking language samples with audio / video recording & transcribing them
- observing patients at mealtime following initial assessment by the therapist
- assisting in the preparation of videofluoroscopy (including booking of appointments)
- conducting / assisting with small group work (as required)
- voice / swallow clinic – sterilising scope, ensuring equipment ready for clinic
Skills & Experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Proficient use of computer software packages (Microsoft word/excel/ Publisher/PowerPoint) camcorder, digital camera
- Excellent organisational and time management skills.
- Experience within a customer care (face to face / telephone) environment
- Demonstrate insight into the importance of maintaining a safe working environment
- Able to complete tasks set, follow instructions and use own initiative when completing delegated tasks.
- Experience of working in a health care setting
- Experience of working with those with disabilities / neurological problems
About The Individual
At HCA UK we recognise and value everyone as unique and individual; treat people with kindness and compassion; act with absolute honesty, integrity, and fairness and trust and treat one another as valued members of the HCA UK family. As someone looking to join our family, you will demonstrate these key values.
You will also actively participate as a member of a team, working together to achieve tasks, goals, and objectives; demonstrate a lead by example attitude to inspire our colleagues and patients; and deliver information in a clear, concise, and compelling manner to effectively engage others and achieve desired results.
If you wish to find out more about this opportunity, please apply for this role and a member of the team will be in contact shortly.