Advanced Nurse Practitioner - Haematology
The Christie Private Care, located in Manchester, is a Joint Venture partnership between HCA UK and Europe's largest cancer hospital, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust.
The Christie Private Care Haematology Unit comprises of beautifully appointed, hepa-filtered en-suite rooms. The team of nurses with a wealth of knowledge and experience in Haematology, Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplantation, support 3 dedicated consultants who lead the Haematology Unit. We are also proud that in 2016 we achieved JACIE accreditation for our shared Transplant programme between The Christie Private Care and The Christie NHS Trust.
These are exciting times for the unit as we implement plans for service development and growth and as such we are looking for highly motivated, specialist and advanced nurses to join our team and help us to continue to deliver and build upon, excellence in care and service delivery.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the evolution of the Haematology Unit at The Christie Private Care as it continues to grow, and be at the centre of developing new pathways aligned to the new role of the Advanced Nurse Practitioner (ANP).
As the Advanced Nurse Practitioner for Haematology, you will be accountable for providing care for Haematology/BMT patients from initial history taking and clinical assessment through to treatment and evaluation of care. As an autonomous critical thinker, you will demonstrate safe, competent clinical decision-making and expert care, including assessment and diagnostic skills. As a senior member of the team, you will also support with the delivery of policy and procedures, and providing nurse leadership as required.
Salary circa £50,000 plus HCA benefits
Working hours 37.5 per week, Monday – Friday 9am – 5:30pm
We'll look after you with our contribution pension scheme, the use of all HCA facilities for acute medical conditions, annual salary review, 25 days holiday each year and access to a fantastic flexible benefits scheme. You can expect to be working in an environment that promotes the development of your skills and knowledge.
Duties & Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the lead Consultant, utilise expert decision making and problem solving skills to assess, support the diagnosis, risk assess, plan, implement and evaluate interventions/treatments for patients with complex needs
- Prescribe and review medication for therapeutic effectiveness, appropriate to patient needs and in accordance with evidence-based practice and national and practice protocols, and within scope of practice
- Support patients to adopt health promotion strategies that promote healthy lifestyles with an emphasis on health education and preventative measures; supporting patients to apply the principles of self-care and supporting patients in helping to manage and live with illness
- Provide advanced nurse practitioner cover during hours of duty and to act, as may be reasonably required, on instructions given by the consultants regarding patient’s management
- Undertake a daily ward round with a member of the nursing staff and / or Lead Consultant/Consultant Specialist ensuring patients are visited where appropriate
- Working with the CNO and governance team to ensure a patient safety culture through managing incident / complaints / near misses and audits ensuring the ownership of quality monitoring and service delivery
- Undertake mentorship for more junior staff, assessing competence against set standards
Skills & Experience
As a NMC registered nurse who holds an RCN Accredited MSc in Advanced Practice and relevant haematology qualification, you will have extensive experience of working within cancer and haematology, including being competent in Bone Marrow Aspiration. It is also expected that you will possess a mentoring qualification and have experience of clinical supervision and training.
About The Individual
As the successful candidate will be working collaboratively with senior management and clinicians you will need to be confident, with clear and concise communication skills and a real focus on attention to detail. You will be mature and responsible, with the ability to take your own initiative to develop the service of the hospital. An innovative and flexible approach to the role will ensure you are successful.